[NCLUG] Re: NCLUG Digest, Vol 6, Issue 8

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Apr 15 13:27:30 MDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 12:13:46PM -0600, Anthony Earl wrote:
>Moving from a smaller disc to a larger disc, I've found that the really
>easy way is to get a couple of IDE adaptors that allow laptop drives to
>attach to a desktop.

Yes, that's usually the way I do it as well.  Though I don't use dd.  I
tend to partition the new drive as I want it to be, adjusting the sizes
as I like.  Then run "mke2fs" on all the partitions except the
swap, there I run "mkswap".  Mount up all the partitions under
"/mnt/dest", for example mount up root, then mkdir boot and home and
mount those partitions under there.  The mount up the source partitions
under /mnt/src, and do a "cd /mnt/src; cp -a . /mnt/dest"

I'm going to be doing just exactly this over this weekend, because I'm
moving to a new hard drive and need to increase the space of both / and
/home.

 People who interview themselves shouldn't criticize writing styles.
                 -- John Bentley, Programming Pearls