[NCLUG] Job market in the Ft. Collins area

Neil Doane caine at antediluvian.org
Tue Feb 10 14:36:37 MST 2004

In my experience, good *nix admin positions are pretty hard to find
in Ft.Collins.

I have a similar level of *nix experience and I was unemployed in
Fort Collins for 9 months before I finally found a job at NOAA in Boulder
and had to move down here.  I felt fortunate to find something on the
Front Range at all to be honest.  My winning tactic was basically just a
full-automatic shotgun approach.  By the end of the second month of
unemployment, I was putting out hundreds of resumes a month for jobs
all over the US, but focusing whenever possible on jobs in the Fort
Collins area.  I have a few friends from the area who are also
unemployed who had more experience than me and have been unemployed for
longer than I was.  I wouldn't move up to Fort Collins expecting to find
sysadminny work in a few days, or even a few months, unless you already have
something lined up.

Neil