[NCLUG] usb hd

William Dan Terry william.terry at knotworks.com
Fri Feb 27 09:32:01 MST 2004

My notebook died in a car accident (fortunately I didn't). The HD booted
right up in the replacement notebook I got. Now I have the HD from the
replacement system. I've gotten a USB enclosure after looking into USB
storage support. However, I seem to be missing some pieces of the
puzzle. I'd appreciate any help with these. Fortunately (in a warped
way) I can't go anywhere. So besides resting and healing I have more
time than in the past to putter with this. I want to set up the external
USB HD for mounting for easy back ups.

It would seem that I need something useful to mount. The only way I can
think of formating the external HD is to actually put it into the
notebook in place of my old RH9 HD and use KRUD to create a new,
extremely bare system. I do have Mandrake Move and KNOPPIX, though I
haven't tried them on this notebook. I could boot the notebook with
them, but would they find my "new" HD and allow me to format it?
Frankly, I can't remember ever adding a disk to a Linux system (last
time I did something close was a SCSI on IRIX). Any thoughts or
references that people would suggest on how to make this HD just a
single partition EXT3 disk? The HD is a notebook HD. So I can't hook it
up to a multidisk workstation. I have no FD.

TIA, William

How do we acquire wisdom along with all these shiny things? -David Brin

    PGP public key:     http://www.knotworks.com/wdt_pgp_pubkey.asc
    fingerprint: BE50 6158 80F3 78FF 16B1  C85F 7CCB 3FEB 5485 56E5