[NCLUG] how much disk space to load X?

Stephen Queen svq at peakpeak.com
Tue Jan 27 12:18:35 MST 2004

Matt Rosing wrote:

>I'm wondering how much disk space is needed to run enough linux to
>have an X terminal.  I'd like to make a quiet (as in no moving parts)
>box and put my compute/server in the furnace room.  I can get rid of
>all the fans using something like mini-itx.  But I also want to get
>rid of the disk drive and was thinking of using compact flash as a
>bootable drive.  A 1GB compact flash is under $200.  So the question
>is can I build enough of a system run X, have audio, usb, keyboard,
>mouse, etc, and fit it in 1GB with swap and all that stuff.
>
>On my current system I have about 1.3 GB used in / and a bit more in
>/boot.  But I assume I don't need most of that.

Have you considered a diskless system such as can be set up with etherboot

http://freshmeat.net/projects/etherboot/?topic_id=139

?

Depending on what your trying to do, you may also look at the PC104 type computers. Technologic makes some that come with linux installed, that are relatively cheap.

Steve
.