[NCLUG] how much disk space to load X?

mbutcher at aleph-null.tv mbutcher at aleph-null.tv
Tue Jan 27 16:47:27 MST 2004

Matt,

At one point, I managed to get X Free 86, Mozilla, a video client, and a bunch
of other stuff on a 64M DOC (and, incidentally, on a Disk On Module). It used a
_very_ compact compile of X.

Later, however, we switched to a network-based boot with PXE and TFTP. Actually,
it was really easy to do. Even in this case, though, I'd recommend actually
compiling X from scratch.

Alternatively, you could look at an alternative to XFree. A few we evaluated were:
TinyX (part of XFree, now)
http://www.xfree86.org/
http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/kdrive.html

DirectFB
http://directfb.org/

There are other X alternatives, too. I know we tested at least two more... I
just can't remember what they were.

In the name of shameless self-promotion, here's an article I wrote about my
experiences setting up PXE.

Matt Butcher