[NCLUG] Open Source or Linux-Compatible Reporting Package?

Rich Young rich at experienceplus.com
Wed Nov 10 17:15:32 MST 2004

Hey, all-
	We're in need of a cross-platform reporting product, something
that will work on both linux and windows web servers.  Think Crystal
Reports, but maybe not actually Crystal Reports.

	Ideally, it would work without requiring knowledge of Java.  PHP
would be keen, perl or python okay, proprietary but simple languages
acceptable. Some statistical and graphing capabilities are important.

	Our model is likely to be: develop in Windows, publish in
Windows OR Linux.  I'm soliciting suggestions because there is some
pressure towards using MS SQL Server Reporting Services and Visual
Studio.  I strongly suspect that this approach would lock us into
publishing on IIS, which I don't want to do.  Anything that's cheaper
than two copies of Visual Studio ($1200 or so?) and meets these other
requirements is a viable option.  I've looked at Agata, but I'm not sure
about it.  What I'd really like is some recommendation from someone else
who's used something similar and has positive or negative suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any advice y'all might have.