[NCLUG] Ok, trying 2.6 kernel

Michael Crosiar crosiarcm at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 16:32:07 MST 2004

Ok, it appears the VMWare works fine "out of the box"
with the 2.6 kernel

What I'm getting now is:
VFS: Cannot open root device "hdc3" or unknown block
(0,0)

My /boot partition is on hdc1 and is ext3 and my root
is on hdc3 and is jfs. Both ext3 and jfs are compiled
into the kernel, not as modules. As you can see I also
tried mkinitrd - but the image would not fit into the
ram disk.

Here are the entries of import in grub menu.lst:

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.9
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.9 root=/dev/hdc3 ro
#initrd         /initrd.img-2.6.9
savedefault
boot

Anyone encounter this? Nothing in google has helped.

Thanks,

Michael C.