[NCLUG] Ok, trying 2.6 kernel

Gabriel Somlo somlo at acns.colostate.edu
Wed Nov 17 16:38:10 MST 2004

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 03:32:07PM -0800, Michael Crosiar wrote:

> What I'm getting now is:
> VFS: Cannot open root device "hdc3" or unknown block
> (0,0)
>
> My /boot partition is on hdc1 and is ext3 and my root
> is on hdc3 and is jfs. Both ext3 and jfs are compiled
> into the kernel, not as modules. As you can see I also
> tried mkinitrd - but the image would not fit into the
> ram disk.
>
> Here are the entries of import in grub menu.lst:
>
> title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.9
> root            (hd1,0)
> kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.9 root=/dev/hdc3 ro
> #initrd         /initrd.img-2.6.9
> savedefault
> boot
>
> Anyone encounter this? Nothing in google has helped.

Any chance you have a SATA disk / controller in that box ? I just
hosed one of my FC2 boxes today by upgrading to their latest
2.6.9-something kernel from the previous one (2.6.8-something), and
the only thing that makes it different from the ones that didn't get
hosed is that it has a SATA hard drive...

If that's what you have, perhaps going with 2.6.8 would fix your
problem (this thing ran fine until 30 minutes or so ago, when I
rebooted it with 2.6.9).

HTH,
Gabriel