[NCLUG] Lost mail due to graylisting!

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Mon Aug 22 09:27:36 MDT 2005

Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 09:56:27PM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:
>
>>That's a bit of a bummer - it's the first (non-spam!) email I've lost
>>due to graylisting. Guess I have to whitelist their domain or something.
>
> You might want to contact their customer support as well, because never
> retrying on a 4xx response either means that their system is broken or it's
> because of an unwise policy that they should probably consider changing.

Yeah, I sent them a note. We'll see what happens...

I also note that they didn't even try to connect to my backup MX
machine, not even at the same time as the initial graylisting from the
primary MX.

To Bob Proulx:

They may have MS Exchange for *inbound* email, but that doesn't
necessarily mean that their outbound mail path is routed through it.
Their website backend could easily have some dumb Perl/whatever script
that simply queries the primary MX, attempts to dump the email there and
then gives up. I suspect that's what is going on.