[NCLUG] Wanted: DMT DSL Modem. Cisco 678?

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Sat Jan 8 19:16:45 MST 2005

Jamie Fishback wrote:
> Bob, who is your ISP?

FRII.

> Normally with packet loss there are several things that could be
> wrong.  From just the brief description that you talked about
> (reseting the modem helped) there could be few options.

Actually I would claim that reseting the modem really had no noticable
affect.  Most of the time it did not help at all.  There was exactly
once where it seemed to work better immediately after a reset.  But
otherwise powering off for several minutes and then back on again has
never really had any affect.

> As far as modems go, ActionTec would be my suggestion.  They are easy
> to setup and maintain.  I have both the 678 and Actiontec gt701 and I
> have never had any problems with the gt701.  I have a small network
> setup of 3 computers, one being wireless, and there has only been one
> occasion where I've had to reconnect the modem to the internet.

That is encouraging information about the ActionTec.  I have heard bad
things about them in general, that they tend to lock up and such, so I
was not looking forward to using one.

Bob