[NCLUG] Broadband ISP options in Fort Collins

Steve Chadsey tyr at teiresias.net
Tue Jan 18 10:51:51 MST 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 07:40:52AM -0800, Jim Ankrum wrote:

> > You can do the Qwest.net Internet basic for only
> > $10.00 a month. That
> > is of course on top of the $28 a month for the DSL
> > line. Basic means
> > you get an IP address and thats it, no email boxes,
> > web storage, any
> > of that. It was perfect for me, when all the local
> > DSL ISPs I looked
> > at wanted $20-$25/month, and I all care about is
> > that I have an IP
> > address.
>
> I can second that. Static IP can be added for $5 a
> month if I remember correctly.

How interesting!  I did some poking around and found this:
http://www.qwest.net/nav4/solutions/internet/bbb.html (for anyone else
who was unaware of this service).

I too only need an IP and a 'net connection, so this would potentially
save me $10/mo. on my Forethought.net charge.  However, I would want to
know a few details before I switch.  First, are there any restrictions
on running servers, or if not, are there any restrictions on inbound
connections?  E.g., can I run a service on some nonstandard port and
be able to connect to it from somewhere else on the 'net?  Secondly,
Forethought.net advertises that they impose no download limits (which I
can vouch for ever since I discovered bittorrent :), so I would want to
know that the Qwest service also has no transfer limits.

--
Steve Chadsey <tyr at teiresias.net>