[NCLUG] Switching IPs & Maintaining Connections

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Jan 30 19:00:59 MST 2005

On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 11:08:02AM -0700, jeff wrote:
>I have lots of virtual desktops each set up to "do their own
>thing", e.g. one with email, irc, web browser, a ton of xterms,
>etc.

You probably want to use OpenVPN or similar to make it so that you have a
static IP address wherever you go, which is routed over the public network.
For example, I have an OpenVPN server which is always reachable, and does
NAT for my machine.  When I connect at a new location, OpenVPN re-starts
and then routes all my traffic over that VPN.

As long as my SSH sessions are idle, I can easily move from one place to
another without losing those sessions.  If data is sent over that
connection, it will die if I'm away for longer than the TCP timeout.  SSH
sessions to random hosts tend to stay up, at least when going from the
coffee shop to the house, etc...

 Q. What's the difference between Batman and Bill Gates?
 A. When Batman fought the Penguin, he won.