[NCLUG] Qwest DSL w/ PPPoE(oA)

F.L. Whiteley techzone at greeleynet.com
Sun Apr 2 18:55:05 MDT 2006

Very recently (mid March) Qwest started supplying a new variant of the
Actiontec GT701, the GT701R (for residential presumably).  This variant
differs from the GT-701WG in that it has no wireless and a power switch
on the back.  I've heard from at least one FRII tech that there have
been problems getting this model to bridge.  They are barely up to speed
on these recent changes.  http://actiontecstore.com/qwest shows the R
model, but no tech specs.  Nothing in the user manual about supporting
bridged mode, so I'd say no.  Don't know if the other Qwest models
remain available from Actiontec.

I installed the latest firmware Friday in an older GT701WG and it
completely changed the web based interface.  The basic firmware upgrade
on the Qwest site is for the 701R, users need to follow the OTHER MODEMS
link to upgrade the GT701WG.  Given the large customer base of GT701WG's
out there, the potential for using the wrong firmware upgrade file is
very real among the user base.  I do have clients running the GT701WG in
bridged mode.

We tried to get a GT701WG from Qwest and they are no longer supplying
this model.  For $10 additional ($70+shipping), they apparently can
supply something called the 2Wire 2700 with Wireless, called the Qwest
Advanced Networking Modem.  No word on whether it supports bridging mode
and it's not clear from the Qwest web site
http://www.qwest.com/internethelp/modems/index.html

Frank Whiteley
Greeley