[NCLUG] Re: configuring ssh on Ubuntu

S Luke Jones slukejones at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 07:57:06 MST 2006

This reply to my 7:24pm mail shows that my earlier reply *did* go
through, making my later reply in error. Apologies. Bonehead pilot
errors like these are my spessy-ality these days, I guess.

Ahem.

Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 07:24:21PM -0800, S Luke Jones wrote:
>
> You don't *HAVE* to use the dynamic IP.  I reserve the first 100 addresses
> in my block for doing static on machines, and the next 100 for doing DHCP.
> Machines that I don't care about reaching go in the DHCP block, my printer
> and backup server get static addresses.

If I understand your mail, you're suggesting that I do static
configuration for all my important machines, and then let the Linksys
bluebox serve DHCP addresses to whatever is left over (neighbors trying
to steal my wireless, most likely :-).

But see, I didn't want monkey with network configuration. That's the
beauty of DHCP servers embedded in *.*
-- people like me never have to learn what a route and a netmask and
things like that are.

And the beauty of my old (wired) D-Link thingy was that its web-based
admin console let me set up static IPs for the DHCP server to manage.
I'd just type in their MAC addresses and say they were 100, 101, 102,
etc. But the Linksys thingy's DHCP server doesn't let me do that. I can
reserve a block as you suggest, but I can't make it assign IPs by MAC
address.