[NCLUG] Network Driver?

John Gilmore jgilmore at glycou.com
Sat Mar 18 18:49:59 MST 2006

On Friday 17 March 2006 09:30, Bob Proulx wrote:

> I frequently add a PCI card for networking and for sound.  Life is too
> short to be continually frustrated with driver problems.

Amen. Or weird hardware interactions. For instance, the built-in soundcard on
this computer steals the PC speaker beeps and routes them through the
soundcard if the soundcard is activated. So the only way to get both beeps
and sound is to install a separate soundcard.

IMHO the hardware manufactures think that there must be some benefit to having
things built in, and so are trying to add bells and whistles that then simply
get in the way. Often it's better to go with a PCI card rather than struggle
with things. It's not like NICs are expensive.