[NCLUG] Network Driver?

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sat Mar 18 19:35:19 MST 2006

On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 06:49:59PM -0700, John Gilmore wrote:

> IMHO the hardware manufactures think that there must be some benefit to having
> things built in, and so are trying to add bells and whistles that then simply
> get in the way. Often it's better to go with a PCI card rather than struggle
> with things. It's not like NICs are expensive.

It has for some while now seemed odd to me that the better the quality
of the hardware, the less stuff it does.  In general, I find that a
quick way to guess with reasonable accuracy which of two motherboards is
highest quality (if you have no other easy metric) is to figure out
which has the least functionality built into it.

My lowest-quality motherboard has onboard video, sound, and network.  My
highest-quality motherboard has only onboard network (it's getting
darned near impossible to find a board that doesn't have a built-in
network adapter).