[NCLUG] Anyone interested in becoming a CACert assurer?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Sep 5 21:38:10 MDT 2006

I just got my CACert.org assurer status through the "Trusted Third Party"
mechanism.  I sent the paperwork out in May, and just got a return receipt
from the Australian postal service around a week to 10 days ago.  The
assurer status just came through this afternoon.

For those of you not in the know, CACert is an alternative to Verisign and
similar for doing personal and web server certificates.  It's not in many
browsers, and may never be, but it's probably the most popular free
certificate signing authority.  See http://cacert.org/ for more
information.

We currently have 2 assurers with 35 points they can each give out.  The
deal is that you need to have 100 or more points to assure others, and it
requires 50 points to get an assured "client" or "web server" certificate.
So, at least two people with 35 points each...

I have 6 people who are regular Hacking Society folks and show up most
Tuesdays which could make it easy to get other assurers or certificates
assured.  However, it sounds like we need to get at least a dozen people
before they will give out Super Assurer status, which we'd need to complete
it with only 2 assurers.

We might also be able to get someone from out of the area to show up to
help seed us, and then cross-assure to get the remaining points necessary.

So, is anyone interested in becoming a CACert assurer?  Please let me know
by private e-mail if you are interested and will show up at either the
September or October NCLUG meeting.

What does it require?  You have to create an account on cacert.org, and
bring two government issued IDs, at least one with a photograph.  You
should bring a copy of each of these IDs.  Perhaps Craig from
College America will allow us to use a copier there if you can't make a
copy beforehand.  I will bring copies of the paperwork that needs to be
filled out.

Thoughts?

 Hi, my name's Sean, but my friends call me...  Actually, my friends USUALLY
 e-mail me...  -- Sean Reifschneider, 2000