[NCLUG] spam help

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Sat Sep 9 11:40:34 MDT 2006

John L. Bass wrote:
> i like DJ's fix better ... change the world where email is stored at sender's ISP until picked up.

Okay.  I will bite.  I have read through the proposal and the
unanswered questions seem to belie any benefit from the proposal.  In
particular:

  All the receiver needs is a brief notification that a message is
  available.

So I should troll through everyone in the world that might send me a
message in the casual case that they have?

  Recipients can check on occasion for new messages in archives that
  interest them. There's no need for mailing-list subscriptions.

For high volume lists, sure.  Then all of email is like a news group.
But it is low volume lists and personal communications that suffer in
this case.

  How should receivers be identified?

  How should the receiver download a list of notifications?

Yes, good questions one and all.  But without a proposal for handling
those issues then IM2000 is useless.  I might as well be proposing a
IM2001 mail system that simply says spam-free mail system, and along
with it post a question, "How do we do this?"  They appear
equivalently useful proposals to me.

Am I missing anything about IM2000?  Please educate me.

Bob