[NCLUG] spam help

Jake Edge jake at edge2.net
Sun Sep 10 18:09:36 MDT 2006

Bob Proulx wrote:

> Personally not having forwarding is not affecting me at all.  If it
> did I could turn off SPF for my domain.  It is controllable
> individually by domain.  Within a domain it is individually
> controllable by email address.

the latter (controllable by email address) is not correct as i
understand things, either the domain has a set of legal sending hosts or
it doesn't ...

> But I don't see a need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Just
> because SPF does not solve all of the problems of email, and no one
> has ever claimed that it did, does not mean that it does not have
> value.  SPF is simply a tool in the toolbox.

I think the problem is that there are those touting it as a anti-spam
measure, when it clearly is not and that admins are making decisions
about what recipients of emails from their domain may do with regard to
forwarding and that they mostly don't understand the implications ...

you don't forward your email, but others receive your email *may* want
to forward it and if you have an SPF record and they use a provider with
strict checking, they may not be able to do that ...

it is perfectly legitimate behaviour for me to forward my gmail account
email to some other host, but SPF checking may cause that email to be
rejected by that other host because the *original sending* host has very
strict definitions of where its mail can originate from ...

i realize that some of you have already made up your mind and that's
fine by me, others may not have done so and may benefit from this
discussion ...

jake

--
Jake Edge - jake at edge2.net - http://www.edge2.net