[NCLUG] lsof troubles RHEL3

Warren Turkal wt at penguintechs.org
Fri Sep 15 01:38:35 MDT 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 16:06, grant at amadensor.com wrote:
> We are on RHEL3.   I am using lsof-4.63-4.1.  On the help page (lsof
> -h) it says "Anyone can list all files;" however, I cannot list any
> files open by anyone but me.

This is probably due to the fact that you can only access process information
for the processes that you ran. Check out /proc/# directories for more info.

> I am trying to copy files after they have been completely written by
> an outside process that I have no control of when it runs.

Can you wrap the process in a script that writes a sentinel file that signals
when it is done.

<adhoc_script>
#!/bin/bash

./run_prog

date > file_creation_done
</adhoc_script>

Then you just make sure the date makes sense and do whatever it is you do at
the end of the job.

wt
--
Warren Turkal (w00t)