[NCLUG] Intel open source drivers

Michael Milligan milli at acmeps.com
Mon Jan 29 23:31:27 MST 2007

Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> ToyKeeper has had that happening a lot.  I've been told by someone in the
> know that the Atheros have superior RF hardware, but the IPWs have worked
> much better for me in reality.  When I got my last laptop, I got an
> upgraded a/b/g card, which turned out to be the atheros.  I also had the
> included ip2100 b-only card.  I tried the atheros for several months, but
> finally just switched back to b-only because the atheros was annoying.
>
> That was probably 1.5 years ago though, the drivers have, possibly,
> improved.

It has improved 100 fold since then.  The NG driver from the madwifi.org
guys is pretty stable, especially with support from Atheros in providing
the core driver guts (yes, proprietary... some nonsense about FCC
regs... they don't trust that open source guys won't crank up the output
wattage above certain levels :-).  I have had good results the last 3+
months.

And I like the fact that I can turn it into an AP really easily, like
with the older Prism (I/II) chipsets (hostap driver).

I have no experience with the IPW (Intel) driver or hardware, but have
heard good things from others too.

Regards,
Mike

Michael Milligan                                   -> milli at acmeps.com
Acme Professional Services LLC                        970-581-9948