[NCLUG] setting up wireless to use dns

Benson Chow blc at q.dyndns.org
Sat Jul 21 10:07:38 MDT 2007

Boo. uclibc. heh.

I recall having similar issues of not being able to resolve hostnames that
I was never able to 'resolve' (sorry, bad pun) on my Zaurus.  I don't know
if you're seeing the same problem.

To test to see whether or not you're seeing the same issue (but does not
provide a solution), try:

while true; do
telnet www.google.com 80
done

and let it hammer that host (which won't succeed to actually hammer
google because the first time it is actually successful it will block.)
The symptom I see with my Zaurus is that it _will_ eventually resolve
after a couple hundred attempts!

Why, I never figured out.  I stopped futzing with the Zaurus after being
quite unsatisfied with how OpenZaurus (and I assume Angstrom too) is not
even trying to keep everything within the limited capacity of the
Zaurus SL-5600 (specificially, the 32MB RAM.  They were virtually forcing
Poodle users to use swap - swap to what?  Flash?).  But I digress,
perhaps someone has some clues about the delayed resolve issue?

On my "embedded" ia32 machine, I ended up deciding to just use glibc.
While it's nice to be small with uclibc, since I had enough space on the
CF card, it wasn't worth the effort to deal with the library
incompatibilities with the glibc on the development host...

-bc