[NCLUG] Why not Root?

Dennis Clark dlc at frii.com
Sat Mar 17 17:18:10 MDT 2007

I spent many years as a UNIX user and admin type.  In general I avoided
doing most work as root simply because of permissions issues.  I would
sometimes create a file/program/whatever as root and no one else could
use it because of the permissions lockouts.  So my feeling is that you
can go ahead and be root if you are the only one there - but be aware
that some programs may be ill behaved and stomp on system resources
(because they _can_ as root) and required you to fix things up later.
I've never found myself inconvenienced by NOT being root when I'm just
doing "stuff".

DLC