[NCLUG] Why not Root?

David Braley davbraley at comcast.net
Sat Mar 17 19:19:29 MDT 2007

Dear Super Cool Linux Users,

Thanks for all the help. After listening to lots of good ideas, I think
I will try and implement a combination of suggestions:

I do not feel nervous having a sudo entry as a user because I generally
use a very strong password. So sudo stays.

I also fixed the path problem as a user, therefore sudo lets me destroy
just about anything I want to, only now I can do it faster with less
steps!    ;-)

But I think I will allow myself permission to use a limited number of
networking tools without the barrier of being root. I want this purely
for ease and convenience. Linux is great, but it still mostly sucks for
wireless. I am often fiddling around with connectivity when I subject
the system to an odd set of circumstances. Sometimes it just wants to be
a pain on its own. Having iwconfig, ifup, ifdown, and others at my
fingertips would be nice.

So in review, I will log in as a user, have sudo for the big messy
stuff, and direct access for a small set of tools I seem to need often.

Now if I can just figure out how to get gold coins to pour out the
pcmcia slot. Linux can do that, right? Ya Baby!

Thanks All!

David