[NCLUG] Why not Root?

Bill Thorson bill at tstorms.com
Sat Mar 17 19:50:17 MDT 2007

David Braley wrote:
> But I think I will allow myself permission to use a limited number of
> networking tools without the barrier of being root. I want this purely
> for ease and convenience. Linux is great, but it still mostly sucks for
> wireless. I am often fiddling around with connectivity when I subject
> the system to an odd set of circumstances. Sometimes it just wants to be
> a pain on its own. Having iwconfig, ifup, ifdown, and others at my
> fingertips would be nice.

David,

I currently have FC5 on my laptop and do not have to be root to
configure either my wired or wireless network.

If you are using the default gnome.  There is a "Network Configuration"
tool which requests root password and then lists your network devices.
When you select one and click 'edit' you see as one of your options
"Allow all users to enable and disable the device."  This worked for me.

Now I have the Network Monitor applet on my panel where when clicked
brings up a screen that has a Configure button which brings up a screen
where I can activate and deactivate all my network devices (2) without
being root.

Not a perfect solution but it works pretty good.  I'm sure there
probably has to be a way to do similar in kde too.

Bill
P.S. 25 years unix admin and I believe only root when necessary.