[NCLUG] *hugs*, hi I hope that you're doing great!

DJ Eshelman djsbignews at gmail.com
Wed May 16 00:01:59 MDT 2007

Right on!  Welcome.  Hopefully I'll actually get to see everyone at this
next meeting as well!

So, I'm curious - is anyone else just feeling really ticked at the latest M$
plot to claim Linux infringes on patents?  Surely this doesn't have anything
to do with the new announcements from Dell, HP and Lenovo about Ubuntu being
shipped on laptops...  Like they weren't feeling truly threatened until they
realized that new systems were being shipped without Windows (Linux for
desktop has typically been put on older PCs, not new ones)?

I know as a "Microsoft" shop at work I'm supposed to fall in line... but
this stuff just makes my skin crawl.  I feel all dirty every time I sell a
new server or PC with Windows :)  Which is pretty much daily...  given that
volume I wonder why M$ even really cares to make baseless threats (so far
this has all been FUD- they haven't released any data on what patents have
supposedly been violated).

sorry, just had to get that off my chest...  One of my clients is a patent
law firm, I'll be very curious to talk to them about this next time I
visit.  I'll let you know what perspective they bring to it, if any.

-DJ Eshelman
http://www.thedeej.net