[NCLUG] local end-user support

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Wed Nov 7 12:27:30 MST 2007

I'm curious about something . . .

MS Windows end-users have access to local, easily aquired support for
their systems.  Often such support is a rip-off, where some bored
know-nothing tech spends all day wiping hard drives and reinstalling the
OS and drivers from whatever CDs are brought in by the customer, but
sometimes it's worth something -- and regardless of whether the support
is any good, it's still *visible* support, so that people feel reassured
that they can get local support when they need it.

Is there any end-user Unix/Linux support in this area?  If so -- how
easily can it be found?  Is it listed in a telephone book somewhere that
I haven't seen?  Is it easily located via Google?  Is it generally found
only via word of mouth?  Where can people get end-user support services
for non-Microsoft, non-Apple systems where people can get the "you don't
have to do anything, we'll do it for you" support they can expect to find
for MS Windows?

I just wonder whether such a thing exists around here.  I'm also
skeptical whether there's much of a market for it -- but if there's
someone providing such services, I guess that person or organization
would who place to ask whether my perception of a lack of market for it
is accurate.

Anonymous: "Eat your crow early, while it's young and tender.  Don't wait
until it's old and tough."