[NCLUG] Re: Thoughts on Linux Users

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Nov 10 14:06:57 MST 2007

On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 12:27:54PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
>That sounds good, in theory, but often licenses are so confusing that
>even sophisticated users can't tell if they are in violation.

I don't know about that, but I do know that there are plenty of people who
are obviously in violation.  I'm not talking a bout someone who got a
laptop with Windows pre-installed, never booted the hard drive on the
laptop, and instead put the hard drive in another machine to run...  I'm
talking things like borrowing a set of CDs from a friend or family member
and installing it..

Wow, I wrote the above before I read this paragraph.  :-)

>Any enforcement of software licenses should take into account the
>"intent" of the "violator". Did he intended to defraud the vendor to

Yeah, but you can't dust for intent.

 Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/