[NCLUG] Ubuntu 8.04 - CLI mode

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Tue Aug 5 00:46:54 MDT 2008

Brian Wood wrote:
> William Greger wrote:
> > - When I start Ubuntu, it comes up in GUI mode.
> > - How can I get it to start (at boot-up) in CLI mode?
>
> Gee, I was going to tell you to edit the default runlevel in
> /etc/inittab,

In Debian/Ubuntu there isn't any difference between run levels by
default.  I know that some traditional systems use 2 for multiuser, 3
for multiuser+networking, and 4 for graphical display manager.
Therefore changing from 4 to 3 turns off the X display manager.

But in Debian/Ubuntu the run levels are all the same and processes are
started by the /etc/init.d/* boot time init scripts instead.  So
changing the run levels won't have the same affect as you might be
expecting.

> but I see my Kubuntu install doesn't seem to have one.

Ubuntu has moved to the upstart package sysvinit replacement.  You can
change the default runlevel the same way as before using /etc/inittab
but you will need to create the file yourself and add the initdefault
entry to it.

> Debian still does though.
>
> Dang GUIs :-)

Yes.  Very heavy and highly overrated.  :-)

Bob