[NCLUG] MythTV Questions

Paul Hummer paul at eventuallyanyway.com
Wed Feb 20 08:59:37 MST 2008

>> What I WOULD like to see (and something more relevant to the list),
>> is a linux device that is capable of being THE set top box.
>
> TiVos and some STBs do use Linux, so I suppose they are "Linux
> devices" in a technical sense, but they are using proprietary hardware
> to subvert the entire GPL concept. They want the free OS benefit
> without giving anything back, and are actually working to limit what
> other Linux users can do.

The Hauppauge product you talked about that decrypts, is that a PCI
card?  Could you use a case with similar TiVo form factor, and have it
replace your satellite/cable set top box/DVR?  Technically, if you were
to do that, and run MythTV, the only subscription you would have to pay
for is the channel listing service.  I would definitely be interested in
building something like that (and there HAS to be a market for them, at
least with the hardware hackers).

Paul