[NCLUG] MythTV Questions

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Wed Feb 20 09:57:24 MST 2008

Paul Hummer wrote:

> The Hauppauge product you talked about that decrypts, is that a PCI
> card?  Could you use a case with similar TiVo form factor, and have it
> replace your satellite/cable set top box/DVR?  Technically, if you were
> to do that, and run MythTV, the only subscription you would have to pay
> for is the channel listing service.  I would definitely be interested in
> building something like that (and there HAS to be a market for them, at
> least with the hardware hackers).

Whoa, I never talked about a product from Hauppauge, or anyone else,
that "decrypts". Such a product would be illegal unless sanctioned by
the program providers (like CableCard). At the very least it would be a
DMCA violation, and perhaps copyright licenses as well.

The promised Hauppauge product, due out next month, will allow the
encoding of baseband (component or HDMI) HD video, essentially what the
PVR card does now but allowing for HD resolutions. Until now this has
not been possible with consumer-level devices.

Your cable STB or satellite receiver performs any decryption required,
outputting clear video that the Hauppauge device can then encode. You
would still need a programmer-supplied device to perform any decryption.
The only way to decrypt with customer-provided equipment is with
CableCard, and Linux support for it does not look promising, since
Hollywood looks on Linux users as a "bunch of pirates".

Actually it would be more accurate to refer to "CableCard support for
Linux", rather than the opposite. Hollywood's classification of Linux
users is a self-fulfilling prophecy, since they have refused to license
any Linux capability to decrypt even standard DVDs. The "pirates" are
just trying to watch programming that they have legally paid for with
legal equipment that they have paid for. Hardly a "piratical" act IMHO.

The new Hauppauge device, which is USB-connected, will allow MythTV to
access a lot of HD programming that is not usable today, but it will not
replace a cable STB or satellite receiver, unfortunately.

What you are proposing would be theft of service if you did not pay for
the cable subscription. Most Myth users would be wiling to pay for a
device (CableCard?) that allowed them to use the programming they are
paying for in the way they want, but I guess that's too much to ask from
an industry that refuses to condone watching a DVD on your platform of
choice.

beww