[NCLUG] MythTV Presentation on Feb. 12

DJ Eshelman djsbignews at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 15:58:14 MST 2008

Yeah, the video transcoding was a big part of what I was after too- I'll
be using a central storage server (which, by the way the new Sony
firmware has much better media server support).

But a big thing for me has been when you're sitting in the living room
with friends talking about how funny some YouTube video is- it'd be nice
to have a quick way to just go there and show it instead of just talking
about it...  But you bring up an excellent point-

I put a Kill-A-Watt on my PS3 and found at idle it was taking up about
215, and folding was over 350.  Playing a BluRay is about 300, and
playing the GranTurismo HD demo pushed it to nearly 400 watts.

Fortunately, the system powers up very quickly, but unfortunately takes
up 14 watts just sitting there plugged in.

Now that BluRay PC drives have fallen in price, I often wonder if it
would have been better to just go that route, but at the time most
non-Sony BluRay drives were data-only.
I've often wondered how a nice little Via C7 chip would do with BluRay
at 1080p...  Because at 35 or so watts, that beats the PS3 sucking down
300 watts for two hours...  You could pretty much leave it on all day-
the chips are supposed to idle at something like 14 watts.

But in any case, I'd still love to see YDL on the PS3 in action- anyone
else up for it?

-DJ