[NCLUG] MythTV Presentation on Feb. 12

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Mon Jan 21 17:07:53 MST 2008

DJ Eshelman wrote:

> I've often wondered how a nice little Via C7 chip would do with BluRay
> at 1080p...  Because at 35 or so watts, that beats the PS3 sucking down
> 300 watts for two hours...  You could pretty much leave it on all day-
> the chips are supposed to idle at something like 14 watts.

I have a little VIA machine (an old U-Buddie) and it is quite miserly on
power, but the teeny-tiny cache really limits performance. It made a
good mail server, which obviously had to be on 24/7, but I finally had
to go with a dual CPU box due to the load from virus and spam scanning.

> But in any case, I'd still love to see YDL on the PS3 in action- anyone
> else up for it?

As I said, I'd be happy to drag mine to a meeting, or perhaps Terrasoft
would be interested in putting on a demo?

beww