[NCLUG] ssh question

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Mon Oct 6 21:21:18 MDT 2008

WOW. Thanks for all the help. I think I get the picture. If I understand
(espeically what Bob wrote) it really doesn't matter a whole lot what port I
choose for my ssh server as the traffic will be "lost in the noise" so
that's good to know. Thanks for clarifying what ports are "seen" and by
what. That was something I didn't really get. I think I do now. Maybe there
is a better port for listening than 5151 like some little used service but
maybe not that important. However, I don't think I want to advertise that
I'm running a socks proxy so 1080 (normal socks port) might not be the best
option.

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 4:02 PM, Sean Reifschneider <jafo at tummy.com> wrote:

> Jim Hutchinson wrote:
> > place. It seems to me it would be possible to use port 443 for the tunnel
>
> Why don't you just set up OpenVPN and use the gateway settings so that all
> your traffic gets routed over the VPN tunnel.  That way you just set it up
>
> and don't have to worry about brining it up, it comes up as a service.

This is something I've considered but I don't know how yet. SSH has been a
useful tool and required minimal effort aside from some misunderstadings on
my part. Doing VPN wil be my next project. Mainly I'm doing this becuase I
have reason to distrust some of the IT staff at work and would like to
obscure some of my traffic plus it's useful when at a coffee shop or such to
try and keep things private just in case.

I do understand that nothing is encrypted from home to the wider Internet
but that's the same as when I'm actually at home so no worries. I'm not
trying to do something illegal and hid from the authorities - just hide from
prying eyes when on an untrusted network.
Thanks again.

--
Jim (Ubuntu geek extraordinaire)
----