[NCLUG] ssh question

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Oct 7 05:20:55 MDT 2008

Jim Hutchinson wrote:
> This is something I've considered but I don't know how yet. SSH has been a
> useful tool and required minimal effort aside from some misunderstadings on
> my part. Doing VPN wil be my next project. Mainly I'm doing this becuase I

The OpenVPN static key HOWTO is very easy:

http://openvpn.net/index.php/documentation/miscellaneous/static-key-mini-howto.html

It really is as simple as:

    apt-get install openvpn
    cd /etc/openvpn
    openvpn --genkey --secret static.key

   Copy the static key to both client and server, over a pre-existing
   secure channel.

   Server configuration file

       dev tun
       ifconfig 10.8.0.1 10.8.0.2
       secret static.key

   Client configuration file (CHANGE REMOTE NAME)

       remote myremote.example.com
       dev tun
       ifconfig 10.8.0.2 10.8.0.1
       secret static.key

Then restart OpenVPN on both machines.  Now you should be able to ping
across the link (10.8.0.1 and .2).