[NCLUG] linux on recent HP laptops

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Wed Oct 22 10:22:04 MDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Brian Wood <bwood at beww.org> wrote:

> S. Luke Jones wrote:
> > So, my question is this: what's the best way to know if a laptop you're
> > thinking about buying will run Linux (a) before you buy it (b) without
> > wasting your time explaining to the tech support person what linux is
> > and (c) all this before the laptop is supplanted by next month's model?

If you can get access to it, like it's on display at Best Buy or something,
just drop in a live CD and reboot. If you hear the startup sound or play a
sample file and can see wifi networks (I'm sure they have one at BB) then
that would be reassuring. Outside of testing like that you can also search
the specs and see what is known to work with Linux or not. If it's got a
broadcom wifi then check the model and see what issues there are. Most can
be made to work.  Other than that, try to find a review or someone who has
one.

There is also Emperor Linux, which specializes in selling machines that
> they guarantee will have all the functions working properly. There is a
> big difference between an outfit that just slaps a Linux distro on
> something and one that actually works to make sure that every thing
> works, but you pay for that difference.

Don't for get System76. I know a few people who have bought from them and
are quite happy.

--
Jim (Ubuntu geek extraordinaire)
----