[NCLUG] linux on recent HP laptops

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Wed Oct 22 17:24:14 MDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Brian Wood <bwood at beww.org> wrote:

> Would any of the netbooks meet your needs? <$400 gets you a pretty
> usable machine. I'm thinking seriously about an Acer Aspire for $399.

I've read some nice reviews on the Dell mini 9 as well. We are thinking of
these for a mobile lab at my school. I would not suggest an eee for anything
other than playing with as the keyboard is a joke. The HP mini note is a
nice design but the battery life is horrible and they are pretty slow. One
thing I like about the Dell is it's silent (i.e. no fan) and according to
reviews doesn't get very hot (neither does the eee for that matter so maybe
it's an Atom thing). The HP gets very hot and the fun runs all the time and
is kind of loud too.

Just to reiterate, take a live CD of your favorite distro to BB or OfficeX
and boot it and see what works. Best way to tell.

--
Jim (Ubuntu geek extraordinaire)
----