[NCLUG] linux on recent HP laptops

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Wed Oct 22 10:30:03 MDT 2008

S. Luke Jones wrote:
> I'm considering getting a new HP laptop (Pavilion dv4-1123us) but I go
> far enough back with Linux that I'm nervous about nothing working.

"Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me."  :-)

> I figure on a laptop that might include: (1) networking,

AFAIK the biggest problem with laptop network is Broadcom wifi.  This
is very often found on latops and it is a problem for Linux.  Broadcom
doesn't release specs and so there isn't a native driver available.

> (2) sound,

I haven't seen too many sound problems for a long time.

> (3) optical drive (esp. burning),

Optical drives should all be ATAPI these days and therefore should
function okay.

> (4) everything else.

Don't forget the graphics.  Intel has been heralded as the best of the
free software options today.  But they are not targeting high
performance applications such as high end gaming.  The *old* ATI chips
such as the radeon 9600 were pretty good and have solid drivers.  The
*new* ATI I have heard mixed results.  (I would be interested in
hearding people's experiences with the new and free ATI.  How are they
doing these days?)  Nvidia is of course closed but good proprietary
drivers from them exist.

> (I take it for granted that power management doesn't work on any
> laptop anywhere except macs.;-)

Power management works perfectly on my IBM T42 ThinkPad.  :-)

> I've consulted "linux-laptop.net" and the ubuntu forums, but this
> particular model isn't mentioned anywhere. (I think this is a function
> of all computer models these days having a shelf-life of about 3
> months. They have dv4's and dv5's and dv7's, but the particular model
> number is all that's relevant. And probably not even that: it's not
> like they guarantee an -1123us will have the same parts this week that
> it did last week.)

Exactly.  It is a problem.  I would be very nervous buying a laptop
sight unseen based entirely upon specs.

> So, my question is this: what's the best way to know if a laptop
> you're thinking about buying will run Linux (a) before you buy it

Find a physical unit in a store or by someone else who has already
bought one that you can try and then boot KNOPPIX or another live cd
distribution on it and test out the major components.  Then buy that
unit.  It is the only way to be sure.

Bob