[NCLUG] Repost Unbootable Ubunto install

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Mon Sep 15 10:24:43 MDT 2008

On Mon, September 15, 2008 8:26 am, Ben West wrote:
> you may not be able to boot from RAID, have you checked to make sure that
> you can? I'd google "ubuntu lvm booting from raid"

You certainly can boot from RAID, at least RAID 1.

However, (and don't wish to scaremonger here, but) there are a few known
bugs with various combinations of RAID, LVM, and crypto (although I
*think* they may all depend on having crypto in the mix).

Especially since you're having problems on this system, I'd suggest
starting out with as simple a setup as possible, getting that working,
then getting more complex from there - i.e. first time around, no RAID and
no crypto. LVM should work OK though, and I'd personally suggest using it.

Also, you mentioned that grub failed to install, and LILO did also.
Unfortunately, that doesn't tell us much; there are many many different
reasons this could be so. You'd need to send us the exact and complete
error message each time the install fails, and any other symptoms you see.