[NCLUG] Free Software Monopoly

Rob Bayerl verigoth at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 20:12:10 MDT 2008

On 9/18/08, John L. Bass <jbass at dmsd.com> wrote:
> So yes, there can be a defacto free software monopoly ... just as with
> any free market proprietary software monopoly, competition is never
> completely eliminated, just made very difficult.

I guess I just don't understand how any free software monopoly could
exist.  Maybe you could explain it a little more?  Do you mean GPL vs.
BSD?  Or FOSS vs. shareware?  Either way I interpret it my brain turns
to mush because I cannot foresee an environment in which free (as in
freedom) software effectively makes competition "very difficult".

At this point I'm not even sure what the original topic was, but this
definitely needed a subject change.