[NCLUG] Re: NCLUG Digest, Vol 184, Issue 15

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Sep 19 13:16:18 MDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 08:48:59PM -0600, Jim Hutchinson wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 8:14 PM, John L. Bass <jbass at dmsd.com> wrote:
>
> > A lot of voices chimed in, that "choice" is always best. I say the same
> > thing ... choice ... both free software, AND proprietary software is the
> > best thing.
> >

> It may never happen but what would happen if everyone simply stopped
> choosing proprietary software? That may be about as likely as all molecules
> of oxygen choosing to go to one corner of my room, but for the sake of
> discussion... Would we then have a "monopoly" of hundreds of free software
> products with a few probably comprising a majority (defacto) share?
> Personally I wouldn't see this as all that bad. It may be a monopoly of
> sorts, but it would have arisen from consumer choice which is quite
> different from how MS developed its monopoly which derived from consumers
> not really having much choice and even were it existed most were unaware so
> were unable to make a choice.

The technical term for what you describe is "natural monopoly", which is
distinct from the form of monopoly that Microsoft, to some degree,
represents -- a result of market failure[1].

> I don't claim to really understand the philosophical tenants of RMS
> (although the link in my sig makes sense to me), but would it be possible to
> suppose that a positive outcome for him would be a world in which everyone
> knows such choices exist and exercise their freedom to choose? I'm sure he
> goes a bit further and hopes that they all choose free software but simple
> knowledge may be enough.

Richard Stallman probably doesn't even know exactly what Richard Stallman
ultimately wants.  He has been known to make directly contradictory
statements of philosophical position and intent.

###

[1] Of course, it's not a technical market failure, which would require
free market conditions -- but it has some of the appearance of market
failure, in that the economy in which it occurs bears some notable
characteristics in common with a free market.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
Martin Luther: "Do not suppose that abuses are eliminated by destroying