[NCLUG] Re: NCLUG Digest, Vol 184, Issue 15

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Thu Sep 18 20:14:51 MDT 2008

Let me put it a different way. By your argument, there can not be an
absolute monopoly (like a regulated utility monopoly) in the free market
with proprietary software either, as long as some competitive product
can be written and sold by any means.

That does not stop Microsoft (or any other large vendor) from creating a
de facto monopoly, where there is insignificant competition.

Likewise, there is equal risk, that overly aggressive free software
advocates, with express intent to dominate all other choices, can create
a de facto monopoly, even with free software. Especially, when the
intent is to remove a consumers access to all proprietary software.

So, does it really matter if the de facto monopoly is created by
Microsoft or Linux advocates? Isn't that still a monopoly?

There was not that long ago there was another debate, some deep
political posturing to remove KDE, and force GNOME as the dominate
alternative. http://www.daniweb.com/blogs/entry1920.html

A lot of voices chimed in, that "choice" is always best. I say the same
thing ... choice ... both free software, AND proprietary software is the
best thing.

John