Linux World domination (was Re: [NCLUG] PC for Linux (Ubuntu))

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Sep 19 19:56:28 MDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 06:44:37PM -0500, Rob Bayerl wrote:
> On 9/19/08, Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
> > How do you feel about busking?
>
> For reference..I had to look it up ;)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busking
>
> This I can agree as acceptable.  I suppose I should clarify that I do
> not necessarily believe that musicians should not get something for
> their work.  More simply I do not think they should gain considerable
> wealth for themselves and everyone associated with them (e.g. record
> studios/producers/fat cats).  But this is a different venue because
> the performance is real and not "perfected" (recorded, mixed, and
> sampled), and the entertainment is (usually) of considerably higher
> quality.  I think the distribution of wealth is skewed in many areas
> of this country, but none are as obvious as the entertainment
> industry.  It is probable that many football players make more money
> in one year than most families from their neighborhood make in a
> lifetime.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone's entitled to whatever money (s)he can
make doing whatever (s)he wants to do, as long as there is no coercive
element to the business model.  If you can make half a million dollars
playing a live show with your band, and you play once a month, you're
entirely welcome to all six million dollars you'll make next year.  More
power to ya.

If, on the other hand, you bribe politicians to pass laws to create you
business model and sue your customers for essentially giving you free
advertising, you're in the wrong.  Period.

That's my attitude, anyway.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
Jon Postel, RFC 761: "[B]e conservative in what you do, be liberal in