Linux World domination (was Re: [NCLUG] PC for Linux (Ubuntu))

Neil Neely neil at neely.cx
Fri Sep 19 17:06:14 MDT 2008

On Sep 19, 2008, at 2:13 PM, Rob Bayerl wrote:
> I wrote it phrased that way for emphasis on the ideology that a person
> who is capable of contributing to free software but does not, and
> still uses free software is, essentially, leaching.  The concept that
> it is acceptable to freely benefit from the hard work of others and
> not allow anyone to freely benefit from your work is fundamentally
> wrong.  Not to say that such an act in any way violates any laws or
> breaks any agreement.

On a thread with considerable vitriol I'm hesitant to speak up, but I
have an alternate perspective on this that I believe is worth
considering.

I release software free (in both senses) via the BSD style license,
because I want the recipients to be able to do whatever they want with
it.
I have done this because I wanted to, because I get great satisfaction
from having code that I have written be used broadly.  In fact I wish
I had the
time to release quite a lot more, but that is life.

If I had been compelled to release this software (either by force or
far more likely by community peer pressure) that would have robbed me
of the satisfaction I get
by knowing I've given something away for free.  As one who can and
does give back (again wish I could do more) I feel no need to be
critical of the next guy who doesn't.

This is a cousin of the discussion on why giving to charity is such a
good thing (giver and recipient both happy) but coercing someone to
give to charity is not such a good thing (giver mad recipient happy).
Though of course this is just my opinion.

So:
Free as in beer - sure
Free as in Freedom - great
Proprietary - go for it

We have several license choices available to us as software
developers, if you feel really strongly about how your work should be
used just license it accordingly.  Personally I want my software to
get used (so proprietary isn't a great choice) and I don't care how
it's used (so GNU is a poor choice), and I'm lazy and want the
community to find my bugs, so BSD licensing is a perfect fit for me.
For other developers that equation can play out differently - and that
is not a bad thing.

To say all of this another way:  I have no animosity whatsoever
towards anyone who uses my freely given work to make millions of
dollars however they want.  If I did I wouldn't have released it with
the license terms I did.

When I go buy a video game I am supporting Proprietary close source
software - and I have no problems whatsoever with this and do not feel
compelled to seek to end this practice.

/me dawns fireproof suit and ducks for cover

Neil Neely
http://neil-neely.blogspot.com