[NCLUG] Question: Linux as a PXE Server

Marcio Luis Teixeira marciot at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 8 17:41:22 MDT 2009

Right. Option 43 is in fact something I know how to do with my Windows server, but I much rather accomplish this without such an obscure configuration change in our DHCP server, as I know in the far distant future that change will bite someone in the ass (likely, myself). So, I'm wanting to do what they mention in the introduction:

"When neither option 60 nor option 43 is set, PXE clients will have no
clue on where the PXE server is, and they will therefore wait until a
PXE server contact them. In this mode, the PXE server must listen to
DHCP discovery packets sent by PXE clients and answer at the same time
as the DHCP server does."

My question is whether Linux can be set up to be a PXE server to operate in this mode. I know this works well, since openthinclient.org implements this strategy (although on further research, it appears as if they might have implemented their own PXE server in Java)

-- Marcio