[NCLUG] Netbook/laptop reccomendation?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Nov 27 17:15:57 MST 2009

On 11/26/2009 01:25 PM, Joel Nevison wrote:
> My wife is ready to take the linux plunge so we are looking for
> something with good compatibility and low price.

You mention the $200 price point, so this may not be relevant, but I'd
recommend considering the netbooks with the 10-hour batteries.

I had wanted to get an Acer Aspire One because I wasn't that happy with my
previous Eee, but in the end I replaced the Eee with another Eee, the
1005HA-PU1X, which is showing $345 at Newegg.  It claims 10.5 hours, but
I'm getting over 8 in my real world use.

I've been quite happy with it, because of the battery life, they keyboard
is acceptable, and the price was right (for me).

Also, the Windows install on it was broken up into two partitions, so
installing to dual boot was just removing the second partition and install
Linux.  The Jaunty installer didn't do the right thing for setting up the
dual booting until after I did an update, I'd imagine Karmic has that
fixed.