[NCLUG] Building a linux based file exchange portal?

Marcio Luis Teixeira marciot at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 22 18:41:27 MDT 2009

I'ld like to thank everyone for the replies!

What I get from the responses is that there really isn't a ready-made solution in open-source land and I shouldn't be ashamed to consider one of the commercial offerings out there. That said, I've been playing around with JSCAPE Secure FTP Server and it seems be a good solution:

  http://www.jscape.com/secureftpserver

It's a Java-based product which has a nice Swing administration interface. They have different editions available, which makes it easy to try-before-you-buy (looks like you can even use the evaluation pro edition for free if you don't mind having a limit of one session at a time). It presents to users a nice and simple web interface with the ability to send e-mail links of files to others. You can optionally make certain users administrators so that they can add other users to the server themselves. I was able to get it installed on Fedora 10 in only a few minutes with minor tweakage. The only issue is that it does not seem to run with the OpenSDK version of Java which ships with Fedora, but worked fine when I downloaded a JRE from Sun. Then it was simply a matter of noticing that the JSCAPE startup scripts have a INSTALL4J_JAVA_HOME_OVERRIDE variable that can be tweaked to point to a particular JVM.

JSCAPE is a totally self-contained Java package. It doesn't necessarily run "on linux" per se, or make use of apache or anything, but basically runs on any OS that supports Java. That makes me happy, as essentially it gives me one more layer of sandboxing between would be hackers and my network. I'm thinking I'll plop this on a Linux host in the DMZ and give it a whirl.

-- Marcio

PS: I am not ignoring the other suggestions. They just didn't hit the spot for this particular need. However, some of the things mentioned were indeed interesting and I'll have to play around with them! (I've actually been contemplating using FreeNAS as an iSCSI target for VMware ESX for some time now).