[NCLUG] Need a new Linux box

Paul H. Wehr wehrp at mac.com
Tue Apr 6 23:11:48 MDT 2010

My 2002 Wintergreen PC that I got from Tiger Direct has not survived
1) the years, 2) two USPS shipments over the Atlantic. I think I'm in
the market for a new (to me) box.

I use my Linux box primarily as a test web server for development,
running apache, php, MySQL, Perl, and whatever else I think might be
interesting or useful. I'm currently looking at what appears to be a
2002 IBM/LENOVO Netvista 2.4ghz Minitower. The price is in my budget
range for this at just over a hundred dollars.

I've got some RAM I can pull from the old machine that might work,
several hard drives, optical drives, and even an extra micro floppy
disk drive! I also have a better video card but won't be using it much
as I'll access this machine via LAN from my primary machines.

Any caveats about the hardware, the version of Linux to install? The
only shortcoming I see is lack of support for SATA drives, but this is
not going to be top-of-the-line production environment.

paul
It isn't easy being green.
--Kermit