[NCLUG] Trying to check ThinkPad support for Linux

Ryan J Nicholson rjn511 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 12:55:05 MDT 2010

I am shopping for a laptop to run Debian. I was putting this purchase
off for official built-in wireless-N support, and had hoped to
purchase a ThinkPad. However, I also want a 4:3 (non-widescreen)
display, ruling out any new offerings. My reading seems to point to
the ThinkPad T60 series, which is still for sale through
third-parties. One of my problems, though, is that my old laptop, a
Dell, has high-frequency noises from the power supply and the disk
drive (and it drives me crazy in a quiet room). I always told myself I
would pay very, very close attention to acoustics in my next laptop
purchase. Does anyone in this group have a ThinkPad that runs Linux
well? Or maybe, a T60? If so I'd love to be able to see and demo your
machine before I make an online, nonreturnable purchase. I will also
be calling around to the Lenovo resellers in our area to see if anyone
might have one of these in use or for sale.

Any help is appreciated. I plan to attend the next NCLUG meeting.

Ryan