[NCLUG] Trying to check ThinkPad support for Linux

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Thu Apr 22 14:21:14 MDT 2010

Ryan J Nicholson wrote:
> However, I also want a 4:3 (non-widescreen) display, ruling out any
> new offerings.

I also don't like the widescreen models.  Perhaps good as a movie
player.  But I like the taller screens for programming and other
development.  I want to be able to see a lot of text on the screen at
one time.

Also important for me is the form factor.  I like smaller laptops.  I
have a 14 inch T42.  But for example the T42/T43 is also available in
the slightly larger and slightly heavier 15 inch model.  In many ways
the 15 inch model is better.  It has better airflow and is
structurally a little stronger and more rugged.  But I like the
lighter weight of the 14 inch model.  Personal preference plays a big
role here.  But the widescreen models all seem to be significantly
larger and heavier!  I am not familiar with the T60 models to be able
to advice you if there are frame sizes differences to be aware of
there but that is something I would be researching.

> Does anyone in this group have a ThinkPad that runs Linux
> well? Or maybe, a T60?

A large number of local folks run GNU/linux from Debian, Ubuntu, Red
Hat and other distros on ThinkPads.  A lot of Linux kernel developers
run ThinkPads.  In general the ThinkPad is a very well supported
machine.  I use my old T42 ThinkPad daily and hate to think about
needing to replace it some day.  In my opinion they are great
machines.

However there can be caveats to that statement.  In particular double
check the network, wifi, and graphics chips in the machine you are
looking to purchase and make sure they are compatible.  A small
percentage of the entire product line have devices that don't have
free drivers for them.  That can sour the experience greatly.  If you
have questions about a specific chip you can ask here about it and
someone will have had experience with it.

> If so I'd love to be able to see and demo your machine before I make
> an online, nonreturnable purchase.

Show up for an NCLUG or a Hacking Society and almost certainly there
will be at least one there.

Bob